Thursday 3 October 2013

2: Featherstone Castle

From the 30th of September to the 2nd of October I stayed in Featherstone Castle which is in Haltwhistle,  Northumberland. 

Over the three days in which I stayed there I undertook different photography tasks, these included; working with a digital SLR to produce ghost like images, photographing the castle itself and its surrounding, and also producing images of a camera obscura. 
I also worked an SLR film camera in which I photographed both the surrounding and the castle. 




I very much enjoyed the three days that I spent in Featherstone castle, and I also learnt about the history and beginnings of photography. The camera obscura task really opened my eyes to how photography has progressed from when it was first discovered. 
A camera obscura in latin means dark room. In a dark room with a a small holes worth of light from the window produces an inverted image of what ever may be visible outside. This is then projected onto the walls and the objects in the room. 



If you look closely you'll see me stood on the wall.



Experimenting with slow shutter speeds and different light setting I also produced ghost like images which captured movement of a person. 
These kind of images have been produced since the Victorian era. They began as a hobby for photographers, but they were soon picked up by mediums and fakes to try and scam the gullible into making them believe that their dead relives had returned as ghosts.      




These are just a few images that I took at and around the castle.












No comments:

Post a Comment